Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Unpredictable spring fishing


The wonderful and unpredictable spring fishing - by Pali


Out fishing again


This might come as a surprise to some of you, but I do that a lot and I do it most of the year!

In the middle of March the weather got really nice, as far as I recall it’s been warmer this spring and earlier then usual. Have had several days where a hoodie have been sufficient for most of the day, first at sunset it’s been necessary to put on a jacket. There have been little rain and bad weather at all this spring, it’s been awesome fishing weather pretty much since the ice broke after the winter.

A mate called me up and asked me what I had for plans for the last weekend of March; I checked my calendar and double checked with my girlfriend. You know just to keep the air in the house breathable, as I have been fishing A LOT since the ice broke. On the other hand she knows I will have 3 months from middle of April where I won’t be able to go fishing. And I will defiantly not have any chances for overnight sessions, so she is very understanding. This time was no different, so I called back and we planned an overnight session from Friday to Saturday that was what I had free in my planner.



Everything was packed up, the hold-all with my carp rods, unhooking mat, camp equipment and all my wonderful bait materials from Northern baits; Boilies, pellets, dips and particles. The weather channel was checked and I was ready to head out Friday as soon my Girlfriend got home from work, she was going to use the car for the weekend and drove me to the lake. I unhooked the trailer and home she went, I was met by my mate who already had setup camp and had a cold beer ready when I showed up at the fishing spot. We emptied our alu cans with bubbling golden nectar worthy of gods, in beautiful spring weather. My mate helped me carry all my stuff from the trailer, to the camp and I got in place with my setup. Tent, bedchair, baited my rods up, plus everything else needed to start fishing. Now it was time for another cold one, but first my mate had a bream pick up his Northern baits Krill boilie. So while he reeled in, released the bream and got his tackle out again, I got a fire started and prepared to make fire baked potatoes. As most other things I make over fire/hot ambers, it takes a lot of hours and my fire baked potatoes is no different.




Time for that beer!

After a good pile of ambers where ready, I wrapped up 6 large ‘baking’ potatoes in tinfoil. You can of cause do without but it’s easier to control with tinfoil, less worrying about potatoes and more time to enjoy fishing. They were placed around the red hot ambers, now we had a 3rd beer and our 2nd bream. Around 8 pm our potatoes where ready, I had prepared some “stuffing” from home, for the potatoes with ham, bacon, corn, cucumber and a dressing with loads of garlic, chili, red onions and fresh Persil. Opened the jacket potatoes and mashed them up a bit with a fork, added a fair amount of the “stuffing” and they were ready to consume. They filled out hungry stomachs very well; my mate was very surprised over how well they tuned out. Earlier he was a bit skeptic about cooking potatoes in a campfire, but he put his trust in my cooking and I believe he will do that again.  

As the night went by another mate stopped by we had a few more beers and a few more breams, not that exiting when you are out fishing for carp. In fact they fast get boring, as they can’t put up much of a fight on our 12 ft. carp rods and semi heavy tackle. It was the same thru the night, no carps but we got a few breamZzzzzzzz. At least it was a nice and clear night, little wind and not that cold.

Next morning I wake up by my tent is blown flat by a heavy wind, the carbon tent poles pop’ the tent right up in place again and I sit up with a bit of a chock in my bedchiar. What just happened, I take a look outside to be surprised, it’ looking like the Christmas morning most kids dream about. No there where not a lot of presents outside my tent, but everything are covered in snow and huge fat snowflakes are whirling around in the air. I close my eyes and open them again, just to check - Where my eyes deceiving me, but they were not. Heavy snow was falling fast and a strong wind had picked up, to make it all perfect a few minutes later I caught yet another bream.

Lucky enough once again my new Musucbag proved its worth, as I could just get up and walk out in my sleeping bag and real in the bream and release it. Cast out and go back in my tent, after shaking most of the snow off me. The weather was cold, clearly as it was snowing but I was not freezing or slightly cold myself.
A few hours later the weather cleared up, the sun broke thru the clouds and dried up my tent after shaking most of the snow to the ground. At noon everything was packed up, my girlfriend was right on time and home I went again. Yet another wonderful overnight session had passed, in the beautiful nature. With the unpredictable spring weather! Maybe we didn’t land any carps but we had a great time none the less!


If you read so far, give me a few more seconds of you time and leave me a comment! Thank you - Pali

No comments:

Post a Comment